Thanksgiving is a time for reflection, renewal, and rejoicing. In that spirit, I’ve made a bucket list and combined two facets of my life, emotional and physical, into this list.
- Make a positive impact in someone’s life.
- Try always being optimistic (which is hard at times).
- Develop whatever talent God gave me.
- Treat people with respect and dignity.
- Enjoy my life.
- Visit Jerusalem and the pyramids of Egypt (yeah, like that’s gonna happen.)
- Go back to New York City.
- See the Gettysburg battlefield.
- Ride in a carriage and a streetcar in New Orleans.
- Meet Robert Duvall and Billy Bob Thornton.
- Have an experience with a ghost (preferably an affable spirit)
- Be remembered when I die.
Those are just a few that came to me, there’s many more! We all need a bucket list. Yet, of all the things I haven’t done, here are some awesome things I HAVE experienced (including having a picture made with some fabulous writers):
- Spent seven years in the Army, right out of high school.
- Coached kids in basketball for almost ten years.
- Saw the international space station fly over earth.
- Wore a Superbowl ring on my finger.
- Witnessed both a Broadway play, and an off-Broadway play.
- Donated blood, with my mom, for Lifeshare on Mother’s Day one year.
- Corresponded with producers of Rocky Balboa, The Stand, & Crocodile Dundee.
- Had one of my screenplays compared to Mel Brooks.
- Met Lois Smith who, as a young person, appeared in East of Eden with James Dean.
- Participated in a poetry reading.
- Spoke to students, and adults, on creative writing.
- Knew one of my great-grandfathers, and one of my great-grandmothers.
- Walked in the footsteps of slaves at plantations throughout Louisiana.
- Captured two ghosts, or something unexplainable, in photographs.
Naturally, the accomplished list is much longer too. The point is, of all the things I haven’t done, there are some really cool things I have done. Adding to the cool list is meeting and having my photo taken with the award-winning writers Tony Kushner and Mark Harris! (I wanted them to squeeze me until I exploded!) What about you? Make your own list. It may surprise you!